Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Oven Fried Drumsticks (Woman's Day Month of Menus)

Man, I am so tired.  Unfortunately, the blissful moments of rest I experienced on our vacation did not last long.  It's funny, cooking dinner has always been the most dreaded chore for me, but now as I continue with my blog, it seems the part I least look forward to is making the actual cooking post!  And I enjoy blogging, and used to not like cooking (yes, I admit, it's not so bad anymore)... how is this making sense?

Anyhow, here is the recipe after getting some sleep I promise to update you all on how disastrous it was tonight.

Oven-Fried Drumsticks Recipe

By Woman's Day Kitchen from Woman's Day | April 1, 2009

Recipe Ingredients

    Drumsticks
    • 8 drumsticks (3½ lb)
    • 1 large egg
    • Crunchy Coating, below
    • Nonstick spray
    Crunchy Coating
    • Italian: 1 cup wheat germ, ⅓ cup grated Parmesan, ¼ tsp each garlic salt and pepper
    • Honey-Mustard: 3 cups honey-mustard pretzel pieces, ¼ tsp pepper
    • Mexican: 3 cups tortilla chips, 2 tsp each chili powder and ground cumin
    • Krispie Ranch: 1½ cups crisp rice cereal (Rice Krispies), 1 envelope ranch dressing mix
    • Cheesy: 3 cups cheese crackers, 1 tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp pepper
    • Herb: 1½ cups herb stuffing mix, 1 tsp each onion powder and paprika
    • Curry: 3 cups french fried onion rings, 2 tsp curry powder

Recipe Preparation

1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Line a jelly-roll pan or shallow roasting pan with foil. Coat with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Skin chicken by grasping skin with paper towels and pulling off.

3. In a pie plate or shallow bowl, slightly beat egg. Coat a few drumsticks in egg at a time.

4. Place desired Crunchy Coating in plastic food bag. If using tortilla chips, stuffing mix, french fried onions, cheese crackers or honeymustard pretzels, close bag and crush with a rolling pin. Put 1 or 2 drumsticks in the bag at a time and shake to coat chicken evenly.

5. Place on prepared pan; lightly coat drumsticks with cooking spray. (If using fried onions or honey-mustard pretzels, do not spray.) Bake 30 to 35 minutes until chicken is cooked through and coating is browned.

My Experience:
The Process-
I used the ranch dressing variation of this recipe and it was pretty good.  I was kind of annoyed that I didn't read the recipe through the night before, otherwise I would've used my skinless chicken rather than the drumsticks I had where I had to pull the skin off.  I've never pulled the skin off of chicken before, it's pretty gross.

Then I pulled it out of the oven and it looked and smelled pretty good, but turns out the chicken was almost completely raw on the inside so we ate leftovers instead and popped the chicken back in the oven.


The Result-
 Well, I had a bite of the chicken and then realized it was raw, so we didn't really get to eat this. It smelled good though...

Let's just call this endeavor a fail and move on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment