Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mango Chicken Salad

No slow cooker recipe today. I find most of them are very meaty and today I was just in the mood for something lighter and more refreshing, probably because it's been so hot.

My delicious brownies from last night motivated me to be a little more brave and expirement with a variation of a recipe.

I got the original recipe for Mango Chicken online and then adapted it to fit the ingredients we had.

I came up with this:

Mango Chicken Salad

total prep time: 30 min. (this included the time it took me to learn how to cut a mango)

Ingredients:

* 1 fresh ripe mango diced
* 2 Tbsp. apple juice
* 1+1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
* juice of 1/2 lemon
* 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
* a sprinkle of Ginger (I poured some into the palm of my hand and just threw it in there
* 1/2 tsp. mustard
* canned chicken (although if you have the time I'm sure sliced grilled chicken would taste much better)
* 3/4 head of lettuce

Directions:

Combine from the mango to the mustard together in a large salad bowl. Mix together with a spoon, and pour into blender setting aside a small portion to top the salad with.

Blend mixture until smooth. Combine lettuce and chicken in the salad bowl you used to prepare the mixture with. Pour ingredients from blender into salad and combine well. Top with the set aside mangoes.

Voila! That's it!

My Experience - The Process

The preparation was very easy, the hardest part was cutting the mango, and if the blender hadn't been so loud and woken up the Little One everything would have been perfect :)

I also learned a very important lesson: You're cooking is as good as your confidence. I was a lot more confident today coming up with this recipe, and it paid off! Granted, it's hard to go wrong when you're working with fruit but I'm starting slow.

DinnerLunch is Served - The Meal

(sorry for the poor quality- I had to take the picture with my cell phone, camera memory card is not reading... grrr.)

This recipe was actually really good! I enjoyed it, and the baby did too. For lunch I ate it as a sandwich in a sliced croissant and I'm excited to have more of it for dinner.

Overall this recipe was refreshing, filling, and delicious! And it gets extra points for being so super easy. Five Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment