Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Beef Valencia (Woman's Day Month of Menus)

I take back what I said yesterday, I don't like cooking.  Not after this.  The 18 minutes is a joke.  I guess it does say for medium-rare but it was very rare in my opinion, had to cook it much longer.

Beef Valencia

Recipe Ingredients

    • 1. Four 3/4-in.-thick boneless shell steaks (about 6 oz each)
    • 2. 2 navel oranges, peel and pith removed, cut into sections
    • 3. 3/4 cup Goya Alcaparrado (Manzanilla olives, pimientos and capers)

Recipe Preparation

Season steaks with 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp salt. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.Add steaks and cook, turning once, 6 to 7 minutes for medium-rare. Meanwhile, mix oranges, Alcaparrado and 1/4 tsp pepper in medium bowl. Serve steaks topped with mixture.Different TakesAdd some sliced red onion and chopped cilantro to orange-olive mixture.Rub steak with ground cumin before cooking.Use pork chops instead of steak.

My Experience:
The Process-
I will NEVER cook steak on the stove again.  Never have before this recipe, and never will again.  It doesn't taste nearly as good, doesn't cook as thoroughly, in my opinion, and was just not effective.  If I had cooked over medium-low instead of medium-high my results may have been different, but I had to cut the steak up smaller in order to get it to cook through to the medium cook my husband and I like, well he doesn't mind medium rare, but I do.
It was a hassle to have a pot of rice boiling over and practically overflowing and steaks cooking and trying to peel the oranges at the same time. 
Once dinner was served though, things got better.

(can't find the picture for this anymore... no idea why)

The Result-
This food was really, very good!  The steak was slightly chewy probably because of how I cooked it but I really liked the oranges and cilantro, surprisingly they complimented each other very well.  The rice wasn't cooked the way I would have liked, and I wish I had added more salt but that's not the recipe's fault.
I would rate the recipe only three stars because even though it tasted good, it was not a very practical recipe for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment