Monday, August 16, 2010

Chicken Parmigiana in the slow cooker

Sorry I'm a little late today, I've been working late and am really tired!

I was skeptical at first when I saw this recipe, I had no idea you could make chicken parm in a crock pot.  It's one of my favorite dishes so naturally, I was very excited.  However, it turned out to be more of a Shredded Chicken Parmigiana, as the slow cooker just made all the chicken fall apart into little pieces.


Chicken Parmigiana
Fix-It and Forget-It p. 183
prep: 10-15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. pepper
6 boneless chicken breast halves
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
2-4 Tbsp. butter
14 oz. jar pizza sauce (I just used pasta sauce)
6 slices mozzarella cheese 
grated Parmesan

Directions:
1. Beat egg, salt and pepper together. Dip chicken into egg and coat with bread crumbs.  Saute chicken in butter in skillet.  Arrange chicken in slow cooker.
2. Pour pizza sauce over chicken.
3. Cover.  Cook on Low 6-8 hours.
4. Layer mozzarella cheese over top and sprinkle with Parmesan.  Cook an additional 15 minutes.


My Experience:
The Process-
Well, everything went pretty smoothly except it said to saute the chicken first and I didn't know how much I was supposed to cook it.  Just brown it on each side or try to cook it all the way through?  Once again, for me this cookbook seems a little vague in terms of directions.  It took me much longer than just 15 minutes of prep time.  Probably more around 30. 

The Result-
As mentioned before, the chicken ended up falling all apart and the bread crumbs didn't stay on it, but it still tasted very good.  It just looked like chunky sauce, sad, and not very pretty but very delicious.
I give it 3 stars because while it was good, it was not great (I like my chicken parm to look like chicken parm!) and I didn't much like the time it took to prepare the meal.

The husband very much enjoyed it and said it was really good so I guess that bumps it up to 3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment