Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Nacho Casserole (pending picture)

Did you miss me?  You should have.  On some occasions I like to consider myself missable... (yes, I am making up words again)

ANYWAY!  This week I have returned and after being AWOL I am feeling much more rejuvenated and ready to start blogging!  Not sure if I feel ready to start cooking, that may be asking too much, but hey, I'm trying.

So tonight I got home late from a day out shopping for random things *cough*scrapbooking stuff*cough* and my dear Husband called me up to let me know he was on his way home.  He said my least favorite words, "I'm hungry."

The plan was to make some leftover steaks I had set out to thaw in the fridge.  The only problem is, I had set them out about almost two weeks ago.  In case you were wondering, meat doesn't last much longer than a week in the refrigerator, at least not in ours.  So yeah, that plan was a fail and I had to get more creative since we didn't have any other thawed meat in the fridge.

I came up with this:

Nacho Casserole
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:
1 can corn
1 can chili (with meat)
1 can crushed tomatoes
Nachos
Salsa
Taco seasoning
Cheese


Directions:
Make a layer of nachos in a casserole pan (optional).  Add all other ingredients into pan and you can mix it around with a fork.  Top with cheese.  Bake in oven at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Serve with nachos and sour cream.


My Experience:
The Process-
This took me about 5 minutes to throw together.  Super easy!  As you can probably tell from the ingredients, I pretty much just raided our pantry for canned goods that would mesh well together.  As long as you know how to open a can, not very difficult at all.


The Result-
My husband really enjoyed the dinner, his favorite part turned out to be my least favorite part.  Baking the mixture with nachos on the bottom caused them to get really soggy and almost completely disintegrate into the rest of the food.  I found the texture to be unpleasant but the husband really enjoyed it.
Next time, I'll skip cooking it with the nachos and make it as more of a dip, or perhaps sprinkle crushed nachos on top.

All in all I would give the recipe four stars, because it was a really easy, fast, "Crap, I have nothing to make for dinner!" recipe.  In fact, I think I am going to label it as such.

Thanks for reading!  Until tomorrow,

1 comment:

  1. Thanks... hmmmm. I just realized I don't have a casserole pan. blast.

    ReplyDelete