Thursday, September 2, 2010

Glazed Salmon on Greens and Orange Salad (Woman's Day Monthly Menu)

I changed up the order of the recipes for this month so today I am doing this recipe. Mainly because we have a delicious salmon given to us in Alaska that I am eager to eat!

The recipe for today is Glazed Salmon on Greens & Orange Salad with a side of sesame breadsticks.

Glazed Salmon on Greens & Orange Salad

http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Glazed-Salmon-on-Greens-and-Orange-Salad
* Active Time: 10 minutes
* Total Time: 30 minutes

Recipe Ingredients

o 4 (5-oz) salmon fillets
o 1/3 cup Asian ginger salad dressing
o 2 Tbsp clementine or orange juice
o 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
o 8 cups salad greens (I used lettuce and arugula, maybe not the best mix but it's what I did)
o 4 clementines, peeled and sliced
o 1/3 cup chopped unsalted toasted almonds I left these out

Recipe Preparation

1. Place salmon skin-side down on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Spoon on or brush salmon with 2 Tbsp of the dressing. Let stand 15 minutes.

2. Put remaining dressing and the juice in a large bowl; add onions and toss to coat. Heat broiler.

3. Broil salmon 8 to 10 minutes or until just cooked through.

4. Add salad greens and clementines to bowl with onions; toss to mix and coat. Arrange salad on serving plates. Lift salmon off foil, leaving the skin behind. Place salmon on salad and sprinkle with almonds.

My Experience
The Process-


Okay, so I've never actually broiled anything before but it turns out there is an actual "broil" setting on the stove so you don't turn it to a specific temperature, it's just "Broil". And our oven took a really long time to heat up, so I wish I had started pre-heating sooner.
Anyway, so being from Alaska and all, my husband is pretty picky about his salmon so I was pretty apprehensive about this. Also, I've never cooked a salmon before, ever so I was nervous. Of course the first thing my husband says when he gets home is, "why are you cooking it in the oven?" As if this was the worst possible thing you could do to a salmon (he always fries it in bread crumbs).
So having a high standard to meet, this was a challenging recipe but pretty quick to prepare. And P.S our salmon was given to us as a gift in Alaska so it came cleaned and skinned already. I don't think I would ever cook a salmon with the skin on, in my opinion that is what gives it the fishy smell and taste.

The Result-


The first time I pulled it out of the oven (after 8 minutes) it turns out the salmon was not cooked properly. You can tel because when it's cut the center looks like one big chunky center and when it's cooked it's more lined and falls apart. If that makes sense...
So after popping it back into the oven we tried the food. I thought the salmon really didn't have any flavor whatsoever and I didn't really like the taste of the arugula so I ended up just picking the orange segments out of my salad and not eating much else.
Despite his earlier doubts, the Husband enjoyed the meal and said it tasted pretty good. I did have him add some lemon zest and black pepper seasoning to it though because I thought it was lacking in flavor. He gave it about a 3 and 1/2 but I only give it a 2, which brings this recipe's score up to about a 3.
I'd skip this recipe and just grill the salmon or cook it in a trusted seasoning that you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment