Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mexican Bowtie Pasta

Today's recipe is from Little Birdie Secrets a very fun, and cute craft blog that just so happens to post some recipes here and there.

The recipe is for:

Mexican Bowtie Pasta
Ingredients
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. frozen corn, run under cold water for a minute
1/4 c. diced red onion
1 avacado, diced
1/2 c. diced tomato
Juice from 1 lime (I used 2 Tbsp. bottled lime juice in a pinch)
1/2 c. mayonaise
1 c. salsa of your choice
2-3 c. bowtie pasta (cook 2 min. less that directed)
1 c. or less chicken or steak, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (Or cheat like me and use canned chicken)
1/2 c. shredded colby-jack cheese
1/2 c. chopped cilantro

Directions
Combine first six ingredients (through lime) in a bowl. Chill.

Mix mayo and salsa together and pour over cooked pasta. Chill.

Before serving, add veggies to pasta. Toss with cheese, meat, and cilantro. Serve cold.

*You can also omit the pasta and serve as a yummy dip with tortilla chips!

My Opinion
This is super yummy and fairly easy. I love vegetables and cilantro- it's just about my favorite ever.

I will use the picture from the blog becausei t's a lot nicer than mine:


Bon Apetit!

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if I left out the cilantro, onion, and avocado, and used canned corn instead of frozen corn, if it would still taste good... if so... I could probably make this tonight. *thinking*

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I'm sure it would taste delish! If you have coriander it is pretty much the same as cilantro (just the dried version I think). You may want to do the salsa on the side just in case because it may not have as much of a Mexican vibe. But that's just my thoughts...
    Try it and let me know how it goes!! I'd love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coriander is kind of a hybrid; it is both a spice and an herb. When people talk about coriander, they are usually talking about the seeds that the spice comes from. The leaves of the plant itself is commonly called cilantro, and is more of an herb.

    Coriander has a long history in America, dating back to its early settlement in the 1600's.

    I'm going to give that recipe a tryout, looks good.

    ReplyDelete